Guardians of the Galaxy #2 Variant Cover

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy #2. 2013.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

Marvel released this variant cover earlier this week, so why not display it here as well? It seems to have gotten a positive reaction on-line (I can't help but read the comments sometimes) but one sharp-eyed comic fan, Bill Colosimo, brought an earlier Guardians cover to my attention. Drawn by Jim Valentino, it features a previous incarnation of the team, albeit in a strangely familiar composition. While the ol' "dissolving shadow to reveal a secondary image" is a classic comic trope by now, the similarities in subject matter and arrangement definitely gave me pause. Perhaps I saw the cover in a previous life? The real question is, who won the dinner with Todd McFarlane?

Before I release you all to the omnivorous weekend, I wanted to let you know that I'm making a last minute appearance at MoCCA Fest, courtesy of Dare2Draw. I'll be available for portfolio reviews and fortune telling this Saturday from 3:30 to 5 at the 69th Regiment Armory on Lexington (the same place that was the inspiration for several pages of Mythos: Cap).


3 comments :

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous Paolo. I can't believe I haven't spotted this elsewhere yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ! It's made the rounds thanks to an exuberant Marvel press release. I have to say, though, I'm even more excited for the next 3 Guardians covers I'll be doing.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.